Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Body Series 25

 Ghosts

The ghosts of my old lovers hide in the way I touch my bottom lip with my thumb

They whisper from dark corners at me to put the toilet seat down

I see flickers in the corner of my eye whenever I change the oil on my car

Or when I drive past exit 18 on the highway

My lovers' ghosts slip into my speech sometime

When I pull a long "ah" across my tongue just to remember how it tastes

When I slip on the word home, like one of them left it tattooed on my spine


What am I if not a cobbled together house of learned habits

And steps taken in carefully mimicked time?

Nailed together quirky ways to say hello and goodbye

The puns we liked to make about eggs draped across the gaps in the shoddy ceiling


Sometimes I remember the instant I looked at the way 

She tilted her head and decided to borrow the gesture: to take it inside and make it my own

And sometimes I just know that my love for the smell of the rain 

Was an idea someone else had, whispered to me beneath sheets

Of indeterminate color


They taught me how to make pretzels and I copied the swish of their hips

With the detail and attention of a Sofar

And we called it love and for a while

That was enough

No comments:

Post a Comment