Friday, February 12, 2021

Rattlesnake #2

[so this is a series now]


His hat cast shadows down his jaw

His fingers were tombstones or feathers

He taught me to fly with his breath in my lungs

But didn't say falling was being untethered

And at the end, all that was left

Was the sun and the rain and the sweet remains of the memories of a boy I once loved in the west



His laughs were a song in a language

No one had ever taught me to sing

I never hoped for a second

To keep him, I wanted simpler things

And at the end, all that was left

Was the sun and the rain and the sweet remains of the memories of a boy I once loved in the west


He left like an out of tune banjo

His steps were the strings out of tune

He left like a poem about leaving

I wish I could say he returned like the moon

And at the end, all that was left

Was the sun and the rain and the sweet remains of the memories of a boy I once loved in the west


No comments:

Post a Comment